Winter, at least for those in chilly climates, is a time when the garden lies dormant … which also means it’s the perfect time to sit in the cozy house and plan. Would you like to add edibles, a water feature, a flower garden, a new deck or an entire series of outdoor rooms?
Take some time dreaming up a new garden plan this winter, steaming mug of tea in hand, and you’ll be ready to go when spring arrives. Mull over these ideas, then dream up your own and share them in the Comments.
- 1. Sketch out your ideas on paper
- 2. Make a seating area feel more private
- 3. Enhance an urban yard with a unique water feature
- 4. Go wild with flowers
- 5. Consider steps and pathways between outdoor rooms
- 6. Add evening ambience
- 7. Get more function out of a small space with well-defined zones
- 8. Redraw your beds
- 9. Add edibles
- 10. Get more out of secondary areas
- 11. Consider doing away with the lawn
- 12. Think of your yard as a series of outdoor rooms
- 13. Extend your indoor living space with a deck